This Community Alert is to notify the Stanford community that there has been a recent spike in thefts from vehicles. The thefts have occurred at various locations and times on campus. Several of these thefts have occurred from vehicles parked at Nixon Elementary School after school hours and on weekends. The method of entry into the vehicles has been through unlocked doors or by smashing a window. To help avoid becoming a victim, the Stanford University Department of Public Safety (SUDPS) is encouraging individuals to follow a few simple practices:
– Do not leave valuables exposed inside a vehicle, including shopping bags with the store name or logo printed on the side. You should take them with you or secure them in the trunk.
– LOCK the doors and roll up the windows whenever you will be away from your vehicle.
– If your vehicle is equipped with an alarm system, activate it each time you leave the vehicle unattended.
– Park in lighted and visible parking lots and streets, when possible.
– Avoid parking next to or between larger vehicles than yours that can provide concealment for a thief (vans, SUVs, trucks).
– Most importantly, dial 9-1-1 immediately if you observe any suspicious activity or behavior (e.g. an individual loitering around vehicles, peering into vehicles, and/or trying door handles), or if you are a victim of a theft.
If you have any questions, concerns, or would like additional information on crime prevention, please call SUDPS at (650) 723-9633 (M-F, 8am to 5pm) or email us at email@example.com.